Prime Minister Narendra Modi today made a strong speech on religious tolerance at a function in Delhi, which has seen a number of attacks on churches recently. The event was organised by the Syro Malabar Church to honour two saints.
Here are the top 10 quotes from his speech:
- My government will ensure that there is complete freedom of faith.
- The government will not allow any religious group, belonging to majority or minority to incite hatred against others overtly or covertly.
- Everyone has the undeniable right to retain or adopt the religion of his or her choice, without coercion or undue influence.
- Unity strengthens us. Division weakens us. I sincerely request all Indians and all of you present here to support me in this huge task.
- The world is increasingly witnessing division and hostility on religious lines. This has become a matter of global concern.
- Mother India gave birth to many religious and spiritual streams. Some of them have even travelled beyond Indian borders.
- The tradition of welcoming, respecting and honouring all faiths is as old as India itself.
- As Swami Vivekananda said- We believe not only in universal toleration but we accept all religions as true.
- This principle of equal respect and treatment for all faiths has been a part of India’s ethos for thousands of years.
- The ancient Indian plea of mutual respect for all faiths is now beginning to manifest in global discourse.